The Students' Union is committed to ensuring high standards of health and safety for our staff, students and visitors. This is reflected in our Health & Safety Policy, signed by our Chief Executive which is available on request to everyone.
See It! Sort It! Report it!
At York St John Students' Union we actively encourage a collective responsibility for health and safety with everyone playing their part in dealing with anything unsafe.
All staff and students are encouraged to act to make things safer by dealing with a hazard if it is safe to do so; otherwise to alert others to the hazard, if possible, and immediately report it to our Facilities Helpline or the on-site 24 hour Security Team.
The Students' Union prides itself on being a friendly, welcoming and safe place to visit.
To maintain these high standards all visitors to York St John Students' Union (including contractors who may be working on our premises) are expected to take reasonable care to ensure their safety and that of others in our community.
The importance of establishing high standards of Fire Safety at the Students' Union cannot be emphasised strongly enough.
To learn more, complete the Fire Safety Awareness Training Module
The Students' Union tests its Fire Alarm every Wednesday at 9:15am
Guidance on Staff Attendance during Severe Weather Conditions.
With the onset of winter and the possibility of snow and ice, all staff are reminded that we do have Severe Weather Guidance which everyone should be aware of.
In summary this guidance:
- Sets out the principal that the University will make all efforts to stay open and remain accessible,
- Explains that in periods of extreme weather (such as snow, ice and flood etc.) that the University expects all staff to take reasonable steps to attend their place of work when for instance transport is affected,
- Highlights that everyone however should consider theirs and others safety in such conditions and to not take unnecessary risks.
A Snow & Ice leaflet may be printed and made available to staff or students.
Please watch out for any traffic or weather alerts in particularly bad weather. Additional guidance on Winter Driving is available from the AA.
Safety for Sports & Societies
The Students’ Union requires all Clubs & Societies to have completed a current risk assessments and ALL risk assessments must be updated on at least an annual basis. Other occasions when this might be necessary include:
• An activity, equipment or venue changes
• Following an accident or incident
• When experienced members and leaders have left the club
• Changes to guidance such as that provided by industry, the HSE and NGB’s
• Equipment is worn out
• You have any other reason to suspect it’s no longer valid
The Students' Union encourages all staff and students to access other external organisations which are committed to improving safety at work or in the community. These include:
The Health & Safety Executive - http://www.hse.gov.uk/
The Interactive Health & Safety Company - http://www.ihasco.co.uk/free-resources
North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Services - http://www.northyorksfire.gov.uk/
Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents - http://www.rospa.com/
Health Protection Agency - http://www.hpa.org.uk/
Suzy Lamplugh Trust - http://www.suzylamplugh.org/
Universities Safety and Health Association - http://www.usha.org.uk/
To view our Public Liability Insurance click here
More information on Health & Safety at York St John University can be found here