P-WD Blog | World Mental Health Day!
Long post alert, but this stuff is important (For more detailed information click here):
- 1 in 4 of us are currently suffering from a mental illness.
- Prescriptions for anti-depressants have doubled in a decade.
- One in five British adults reported that they had suicidal thoughts, with an increasing number of 22.4% in women. With the knowledge that men are THREE times more likely to actually commit suicide, this figure suggests men are still under-reporting their symptoms.
- Young people aged 16-24 were more likely to report suicidal thoughts than any other age group, meaning university students are in a high risk group.
Let’s work together to raise awareness of mental health, break the stigma and support recovery.
MENTAL WELL-BEING HELP AT YORK ST JOHN
WELLBEING DROP IN
Consisting of a short 20-30 minute assessment of what the best route for help is, which may include further counselling. Found in Holgate at these times:
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday - 1.00pm - 2.00pm
- Tuesday and Thursday - 4.00pm - 5.00pm
Arrange an appointment at the Student Information Desk in Holgate or,
T: 01904 876477
This can be based around any sort of problems affecting your wellbeing...
Pregnancy, domestic violence, hate crime, harassment, sexual assault, crime, burglary, assault, bullying, stalking, accommodation issues, falling out with friends, taking time out from your studies, unhealthy relationship with drugs & alcohol.
OUT OF HOURS SUPPORT
Samaritans: 116 123 - a 24/7 listening service, please remember you don't have to be feeling suicidal to talk to them.
Anxiety UK: 08444 775774 - for support, help and information.
Saneline: 0300 304 7000 (6.00pm - 11.00pm)
York Nightline: 01904 323735 (8.00pm - 8.00am) - a listening service for students run by students.
THE WELLBEING ZONE
A multimedia tool that helps you track your health and wellbeing progress, as well as providing a platform for help and advice to. It’s free for all students and staff, check it out
A non-religious mental training that helps you develop simple skills to cope with life difficulties. Every WEDNESDAY in the University Chapel 1.30-2.30pm.
Our new programme targeted at improving mental wellbeing and physical health. Just £5 for the entire year. Come see us in the SU for more info, or alternatively, go on our YSJSU for a timetable/more info.
If you feel you aren’t sure what support is right for you, drop in to the SU and come and grab me - we can chat and talk about what’s on offer.
I hope this helps at least one person out there!