- Posted 4th December 2017 at 6:00pm
In light of International Disability awareness day on 3rd December, I thought I’d take this opportunity to make everyone aware of the support that is available for students at YSJ!
You might not feel that you have a disability, or dislike the term, but the adjustments and support available may make a real difference in helping you to achieve your goals.
There is a range of support available covering many areas, including:
- extra time in exams
- specialist equipment and software
- mentoring support
- 1:1 specialist tuition
- specialist assistive technology training
- library assistance
Pop along to the Student Information Desk in Holgate to attend a Disability Advice drop-in on;
Monday, Wednesday & Friday 1pm-2pm
Tuesday & Thursday 2pm-3pm
You may be eligible for additional support from ILS which could entitle you to;
- borrow up to 35 books at any one time
- reclaim printing credits
- Book rests
- Foot rests
- Laptop stands
- Vertical mouse
- Trackball mouse
- Soft touch keyboard
- Coloured overlays or paper for photocopying
Software such as;
- Desktop Zoom This magnifies your PC screen up to 36x. Customise the screen contrast, tinting, brightness, and more for your personal vision.
- Inspiration Allows you to create mind maps to develop your ideas and essay plans using pictures colours and shapes.
- TextHelp Read and Write Allows you to read your work and helps you to develop your study strategies.
- Global Autocorrect Automatically correcting your spelling as you type.
- Audionotetaker For easy note taking
Please visit the service desk in Fountains to see which support you may be able to access.
The wellbeing team offer confidential emotional and psychological support on a wide range of issues including:
- Mental Health Advice
- Welfare Advice
- Mindfulness sessions
If you feel this would be beneficial there is a Wellbeing drop-in service;
Monday, Wednesday and Friday - 1.00pm - 2.00pm
Tuesday and Thursday - 4.00pm - 5.00pm
For more information on any of these areas please visit the YSJ website. Looking forward to seeing you all at the first Archie’s day of the academic year!
Enjoy the last week of term!